Here are some security precautions anyone can adopt to increase their own levels of online security.
1. Protect your Digipass and PIN number
- Never divulge your account number or Digipass PIN code to anyone.
- Memorise your account number and Digipass PIN code. If you need to write them down, store them in a location separate from your Digipass or account numbers.
- Always keep your Digipass separate from your account number and your Digipass PIN code.
- Do not write your customer number or Digipass PIN code on a Post-It note and stick it to your computer.
- Notify us immediately if your Digipass is lost or stolen and we will issue you with a replacement Digipass and PIN code.
- We usually don't ask for you to return the Digipass. Please notify us immediately of any request to return your Digipass or send it to another address.
2. Use RaboDirect Secure E-mail
Never send sensitive financial information to RaboDirect through regular e-mail. RaboDirect customers have access to secure-mail within our secure transaction site. You should use this e-mail function to communicate with our Customer Contact Centre if you want to include information pertaining to your account statements or account details.
RaboDirect will NEVER send you an email requesting your personal access details. If you ever receive such an email please notify us immediately.
3. Use updated Anti-Virus Software
We strongly recommend that you protect your computer from viruses by installing and regularly updating firewall and anti-virus software.
4. Activate a Pop-Up Window Blocker
Blockers are often part of anti-virus and firewall Internet security packages. When you have installed your pop-up blocker you may want to adjust the setting to allow pop-up windows in websites that you trust and need to access.
5. Scan your computer for Spyware regularly
You can eliminate potentially risky pop-up windows by removing any spyware or adware installed on your computer. Spyware and adware are programs that look in on your web viewing activity and potentially relay information to a disreputable source. Perform an Internet search for "spyware" or "adware" to find free spyware removal programs.
As with a pop-up blocker, you will want to be sure that your removal program is not blocking, or removing, wanted items, and if it is, consider turning it off for some websites.
6. Avoid downloading programs from unknown sources
Downloads may contain hidden programs that can compromise your computer's security. Likewise, e-mail attachments from unknown senders may contain harmful viruses.
7. How to contact us if you have any questions or concerns
At RaboDirect, we maintain the highest security standards and ensure your money is protected at all times. However, if you have any misgivings or require advice on secure online banking, please contact our staff in our Customer Contact Centre by email@example.com or phone 0800 22 44 33.